In order to obtain the right of temporary residence EU/EEA citizens (who stay in Estonia longer than three months) must register themselves as citizens of Tallinn within three months from the date of entering Estonia and apply for the Estonian identity card (ID-card). Please read here 


Some students will need to apply for a D-Visa to enter Estonia. A list of non-EU/EEA nationals who do not require a visa to enter Estonia can be found here.  Additionally EU/EEA students must obtain a temporary residence permit for studies in Estonia.

If you are an exchange or a joint programme student and your physical stay in Estonia does not exceed one year then you are not eligible to apply for a TRP. You need to apply for a long-stay (D) visa for the duration of your stay. You can find more information about travelling to Estonia here.

Any Estonian visa-related queries should be directed to International Student Support Team at Tallinn University.


Information regarding Visa guidelines can be found on the (Portuguese) Ministry of Foreign Affairs portal (webpage):

Type of Visa: Type of Visa – General Information – National Visas – Visa (

Deadlines: Deadlines – General Information – National Visas – Visa (

Fees: Fees – General Information – National Visas – Visa (

Who needs a Visa: Who needs a visa – General Information – National Visas – Visa (

Forms do complete: Forms – General Information – National Visas – Visa (



International students must register their right of residence in Finland but the way to do this depends on your nationality.

Citizens of EU/EEA/EFTA countries (registration of the right of residence) 

EU and EEA nationals and non-EU nationals with a comparable status (EFTA countries) do not need a residence permit before arrival. However, as you will be staying in Finland for over three months, you will have to register your right of residence once you arrive. The registration should be done within three months of your arrival with the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). Please observe that citizens of a Nordic country register their right of residence at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency. For more information, please go to Migri’s page on Registration of the right of residence of a citizen of the European Union.

Citizens of non-EU/EEA/EFTA countries (residence permit for studies)

Students arriving from all other countries usually need a residence permit for studies in order to stay in Finland for a longer period of time, that is, for 90 days or longer. A residence permit allows you to live, stay and travel in Finland and to leave and re-enter the country during the validity of the permit. You must hold a valid passport or other travel document in order to be issued a residence permit. As a general rule, it is a good idea to check that your passport is valid for as long as possible. The first residence permit should be applied for online. The application is followed by a visit in person to a Finnish mission (embassy, consulate) in your home country or country where you reside legally for submitting your biometric data and for an interview. Please note that an appointment is mandatory and in most cases you will have to travel outside of your home state / city for the appointment.

When applying for a residence permit, a financial statement is also required. You will be requested to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Finland. In addition, you must attach a copy of a comprehensive health insurance coverage to the application.

Further information on residence permit for studies is available on the website of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri). It is a good idea to check also the website of the Finnish mission for any country-specific instructions. You will find the contact details of Finnish missions at Finland Abroad.

The European Education and Culture Executive Agency (EACEA), in the context of managing the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees, collects and processes the personal data of some of the candidates. In particular, certain data of the scholarship holders (students and scholars), non-scholarship holders and reserve list candidates is shared with the Agency through the EACEA Mobility Tool and treated according to the following privacy statement.